Sunday, January 22, 2012

Movie Review: Young Adult

I tried to think of several words that could accurately express how awesome this film is. Spectacular! Sublime! Stupendous? Fantastic! Well, no matter how you dice it, spin it, slice it, or pick it apart, this film is just simply KFC terrific (side note: KFC terrific is my catchphrase for finger lickin’ good…that’s right, mental note it folks). It’s not just because it stars one of my favorite Hollywood hard knocks Charlize Theron as the leading bad ass you love to hate, or the fact that Patton Oswalt, the sire of funny happens to also star in the film, or the fact that it was written by none other than Diablo Cody, the untouched goddess of wit; who am I kidding, that’s exactly why this film pretty much rocked to heights I never expected possible. Young Adult also happens to be the first time Director Jason Reitman and writer Diablo Cody reunite their cinematic genius since their work on Juno. This fact alone is what first sparked my interest and immediately claimed the #1 spot on my must watch list. It’s much darker than I originally thought, but I happen to enjoy dark humor immensely. By the by, when an actor’s performance can make you enjoy a film even though you want to personally kick the main character in the neverlands by the end, in my opinion just proves in even greater detail how amazing the film is. It is, in my opinion, a must see that I can say with enthusiasm, you will LOVE to pieces. 

The Cast-
Young Adult stars Charlize Theron, Patton Oswalt, Patrick Wilson, and Elizabeth Reaser. It was directed by Jason Reitman, and written by Diablo Cody.

The Plot-
It all started with an email- an email from an ex. An email from said ex announcing the birth of his new baby girl. The normal reaction evoked by the birth of a child should be joy and delight for all friends who have the opportunity to witness. However, Mavis (Theron), a 30ish diet coke chugging, alcohol guzzling, narcissistic divorcee  and ghost writer of young adult series is anything but normal. The sight of the email garnished with the photo of the little bundle of joy throws an already unstable Mavis into the trawls of emotional havoc. She devices a plan to return to her home town, in hopes of breaking up her old high school sweethearts (Wilson) marriage, and claiming him for herself.  Mavis’s plan doesn’t come without it’s setbacks. While drinking at a local bar one night she reunites with Matt (Oswalt), an old high school classmate who lends his hand as the voice of reason, and throughout the film tries to divert Mavis from her ill intentions.

I can’t say it enough, this film is just friggin’ good. If you have a chance, please check it out-I’m sure you will all love it just as much as I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment