Monday, January 9, 2012

Color Me Creative!




Over the weekend I had the opportunity to fulfill a 3 ½ year longing of painting my very own piece of pottery at Color Me Mine with my ladybug; I was even able to convince my cousin to tag along with her little girl as well which made it that much more special for both the ladybug and myself. We live, quite frankly, so close to a Color Me Mine art studio that I initially almost kicked myself in the rear for waiting so long to take her- then I saw the prices of some of their pieces and remembered that my mommy/wife budget was definitely the leading cause behind my hesitation. Nonetheless, I pushed forward and decided on some of their smaller pieces (which are remarkably reasonable and pretty spiffy too) for myself, and to my delight so did my thrifty ladybug.

Her choice...a ridiculously cute tortes that she decided to paint as a gift for one of her classmates.



My pick… a three piece series of large accent plates that I painted in combinations of some of mine and the hubby’s favorite colors, and trimmed in the lyrics of the chorus to our song- Love Song (the 311 rendition).



My cousin decided she desperately needed a new piggy bank to start saving up for our European escapades to celebrate her 30th year since her escape from the uterus.



Her little girl decided to explore her inner Warhol by picking a penguin that she decided absolutely must be dazzled in pink with splatters of brown and whatever colors we had left on our swatches. 



I’ve wanted so badly, ever since the ladybug was old enough to really understand and enjoy craft projects, to spend more time with her getting creative and asserting our artistic side. To me it’s super important to dedicate one-on-one time with your kids; it’s even greater of importance when your spouse is a wounded Vet. I myself can admit it can get pretty intense at home between the frequent doctor’s appointments, work, trying to manage the dozens of meds that are thrown down our husbands throats, and all the stress that comes with life after war; its all together too easy to sometimes forget that our children are also going through this struggle right along with us and need breaks from it just as badly as we do.
   
Seeing the smile on her face, and just that fact that we were able to spend time together just having fun was such an amazing experience. It solidified my resolve in deciding to get up and get out, and simply have some much needed “us time”. There will definitely be much more mommy and kiddo fun and frivolousness in the 2012 year, and I can’t wait to share all the funtastics with all of you here.

What interesting funsies do you do with your kids to take breaks from the daily life? Tell me all about it through email or a comment!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great idea, and you are so right about not forgetting our children are fighting PTSD right along with us. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete