Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembrance

Sitting on the floor of my living room in front of the television; partly suffering from shock, partly bewildered in disbelief, this is where I was during 9/11.  It was a day that I will always remember; it forever changed my life as well as the lives of so many fellow Americans. It was a day that shook American, as well as countless other countries, and left most of society not only fearful of the days to come, but ambivalent of the future of our country. I can still remember so vividly the clutch of panic knotting my stomach, the tears swelling my eyes so completely I could barely see clearly. I can still recall the images of the Twin Towers falling, and the screeching sound of screams that almost seemed to seep through the thin cracks of my window. Little did I know at the time, the screams were coming from me. And it didn’t end there, how can we look back on that day and not remember the years of chaos that followed; the brave efforts and sacrifices of so many of our soldiers (including my husband), many of which returned home carrying the burden of the aftermath or war, or the even heavier sacrifice- not returning home at all. But you want to know what else I remember? The contentment in experiencing several of my fellow Americans coming together, binding ourselves to each other in a united effort to heal, and move forward after such a huge tragedy and blow to our boastful confidence in our own security. I remember the hope that was born from those moments, and the feel of community. During that time, and for the first time in a very long time, we were all united no matter what your political, racial, spiritual, or demographic standing. This is what I remember, and this is what I choose to keep dear to my heart.
So for today, I remember 9/11. The sacrifices of our Military and their families, the bond that formed and re-shaped our country, and the many efforts of our fellow American that helped heal our nation, at a time when everything seemed so unclear. I can’t promise I won’t cry, but this time they won’t be tears of fear, they’ll be tears of hope.

Always remember 9/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment