Saturday, September 10, 2011

Movie Review: Night Catches Us

I don't think I could describe this film without falling into a sea of undiluted gush-stew. I'll try to do my best but just in case...

Pardon me while I gush the frick out

 I have many reasons for my enthusiasm toward this film; not just because of my undying love of Kerry Washington, but also because of the rave reviews that continued to circle around the blogosphere praising the pure genius of this film. Indeed I was not disappointed. I loved this film so much I actually watched it twice in one day; once on my on, and later that night after forcing everyone in my house to stop what they were doing and relish in yumminess that is this film. Was that enough gush for you? Because trust me, there will be more.

Night Catches Us was written and directed by Tanya Hamilton. The leading characters are played by Kerry Washington (I so heart her) and Anthony Mackie. The film takes you back to 1976 Philadelphia in the middle of a racially tense and extremely divided neighborhood after the murder a a local Black Panther leader by the Philadelphia Police. Marcus (Mackie) returns to Philadelphia after the untimely death of his father; he has been gone for several years after the shocking murder of a well known Black Panther leader, and has come home to realize his childhood neighborhood is just as racially charged as it was the day he left. Not everyone is pleased by his homecoming including a few fellow Panthers turned local gangsters who blame him for snitching to the police and ultimately lead to the capture and murder of their leader. 

His homecoming reunited him with Patricia (Washington), a fellow Panther and the widow of the slain Panther, who is now a lawyer and lives with her daughter Iris and her new boyfriend. The chemistry between Marcus and Patricia is more than obvious from the start, and the two soon give in to their undeniable attraction, and try to make sense of their feelings for each other despite the ever growing tension surrounding them. In the meantime Patricia's brother Jimmy (Amari Cheatom) who struggles to make ends meat doing odd jobs anywhere he can for very little pay, becomes more and more entranced by the Panthers after several harassing encounters with the Philadelphia Police. As the story unfolds and the tension between the community and the local Police continues to build, the truth about the murder begins to unravel in a surprising finish that will not leave you disappointed.

So...

What do I have to say about this film?

I LOVED it, LOVED it, LOVED It. Exclamation point times 10. I really hope all of you take the time out to watch this incredible film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment