Wednesday, July 4, 2012

O Beautiful for spacious skies, For amber waves of grain



For all those who fought
Both past and present
Military and Civilian
No matter what race
Or religious denomination
To keep us safe from harm
To give us all a voice
To shape and mold this country
Into the country it is today
A country I am proud to live in
Today and every day, I thank you.



This song always reminds me of my first baseball game; the hotdogs and pretzels were flowing, the roar of the crowd was insane, the energy and spirit of the game itself was intoxicating, and over the loud speakers a recording of Ray Charles singing America the Beautiful filled my ears. That day, I became a baseball fan. I was 7 years old and even that young, I understood that in that stadium, race, gender, religious belief, even time didn’t matter- we were one, and we together are what makes this country great. This is a belief that I’ve carried with me from my formative years to adulthood, and this belief grows stronger each day as the numbers of my fellow warrior wives who reach out to me to share their stories rises. Even though the belief now carries much more weight and value than it’s original baseball origins, the basic emotions that erupt from that belief are the same. Life isn’t always sunshine and roses here, and America is just as much scary as it is beautiful, but nonetheless it’s our America; that’s a fact to be proud of.

Enjoy your Independence Day everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment