Sunday, January 6, 2013

2012 Post Mortems


What a difference a year makes! 2012 was filled with major accomplishments and major set-backs, and as most us do when entering a new year, reflecting back on the prior year seems to be the most commonly used tool to help carve out a clear path for the hopes and goals we wish to accomplish going forward. 

Usually I make a list of all the things I want to set in motion and list achievements I seek to bring to fruition during the new year, but this year I decided to make my traditional New Year’s blog a little different. That’s why when trying to devise a theme for this post, and coincidently surfing blogs I frequently read- as I usually do on my free time- I came across a post I absolutely loved from The Lost Book Reports blog (an all things book lovers blog). This blogger usually does a monthly look back (which I think is an amazing idea that I would like to somehow incorporate into my blog this year, but with a twist) and includes things she did, read, accomplished, and so on during the previous month. I love doing look backs and am always surprised by what I had going on, and how much I’ve actually done. If you like it, I strongly suggest you check out her blog whenever you have some free time.


2012 In One Word
Progression

5 Big Things That Happened In 2012
My old company was acquired by a larger organization = A big promotion and raise!!
Finally got a good team of doctors together for the hubby
Joined Hearts of Valor
Finally Saw Nikka Costa Live!
Went Vegan (still a work in progress) 

5 Songs That Were Most Popular On My IPod
Man Like That by Gin Wigmore
Settle Down by No Doubt
Ho, Hey by The Lumineers
Home by Phillip Phillips
Easy by Rascal Flatts and Natasha Bedingfield

Top 5 Favorite Books Read In 2012
The Red Garden by Alice Hoffman
The Diviners by Libba Bray
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
One Breath Away by Heather Gudenkauf
Beautiful Creatures Series by Margaret Stohl

2 Most Popular 2012 Blog(s) 
Absence makes the heart grow fonder...or it just gives you plenty of time for Indies
WW Resource: Higher Ground


3 Obsessions in 2012
Oprah’s Lifeclass
Photography
VA Volunteer Work

3 Things I’m Looking Forward To In 2013
Hearts Of Valor Retreat
Premier of Beautiful Creatures (Film Debut!)
Finding more joy in my life

Although 2012 for me wasn’t filled with half as much stress and chaos as previous years, it did leave me incredibly busy, and in serious need of re-grouping, reassessing, and re-connecting with my biggest sources of joy. Instead of writing down a list of things I hope to accomplish in 2013, which inevitably I won’t get to achieve, I decided to instead make a few promises to myself that are attainable, and easy to remember. I’ve rounded this (would be repeatedly long) list into 3 simple promises

I promise to be Kind. Kind to my body by eating healthy nourishing foods, kind to my hubby by finding time to relate to each other as a married couple regardless of the stress, and busy schedules, and kind to others by finding more time to give back and become more involved in the charities that are near and dear to my heart.

I promise to nurture my creativity. Whether it be writing, blogging, photography, painting, crafts, or drawing, I promise to dive deep and make time to exert my creative side without excuses.

I promise to find joy. With all that we warrior wives have on our plates at any given day, it’s easy to loose sight of the things that bring us joy and happiness. For me, happiness is too general of a concept to try to reach everyday, so instead I choose to find joy in my life, joy in my marriage, joy in my the little things that I often overlook, and joy in the time I am able to spend with the people I love. Joy is all around us, we just have to dig through the muck to find it.

I hope your 2013 is jam-packed with overwhelming joy, success, fun, and freedom bloggerella’s and fella’s!

Here's to a happy 2013!!









No comments:

Post a Comment