Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Absence makes the heart grow fonder…or it just gives you plenty of time for indies!


Ok, so I’ve been a bad blogger lately. Yes, I’ve received your many, many emails requesting to know just where the bleep I’ve been all this time- many of which have amused me with extremely funny takes on what you think may be keeping me from blogging, and many that just fed the delusion of the monster that is my alter ego, forcing me to truly believe in the legends of my awesomeness.

First, let me address the rumors; no, I wasn’t abducted by aliens from planet Letssnatchabitch, and housed by aliens that zapped away my ability to write. However, at times over the past few months, I almost believed this was true. No, I haven’t moved to an exotic island, living a life of leisure drinking fruity mixed drinks with cute decorative umbrellas in them- cheese and crackers do I wish that one was true though. No, I didn’t die of a cheesecake-binge induced coma after an afternoon of cheating on my vegan diet (however, we don’t know what the future has in store- this vegan thing is still hard).

So…what have I been up to? I’ve been spending time finishing a 6 year long work-in-progress (almost done!!), working like a mad woman, taking care of the hubby, maintaining my title of world’s greatest mom, and indulging in a surplus of amazing upon amazing indie films. As I’m sure all my fellow indie lovers out there know, tis the season (fall and winter) of the Indie, and trust me when I say so far this season has not disappointed. I have seen SO many remarkably fantastic indies over the past two months that I swear I am in complete overload.  I knew I couldn’t wait another second to share my picks of the best indies of 2012, and encourage all that I can to take the time to run to your nearest limited release theater to see them.

  This one isn't in theaters any more so it should be relatively easy to find/buy/borrow from a friend. It's so incredibly funny, unexpectedly warm and touching and simply put a great film all together. Little tidbit for all you pop-culture information hoarders, it was co-written by the same screenwriter behind Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist. its a definite must see and so worth it; you will love it and watch it over and over again.















  If you were ever wondering what The Hangover would look like if it grew ovaries and shaved its legs, this is it. Holy hilarium...I don't think I've laughed so hard, or screamed so loud in my life. Please trust me when I say you are missing out if you don't see this film. If it's still out in theaters, take the time to find it and marvel in it. 

















  I read this book last year and loved it- couldn't get enough of it was more like it- so much so, that I passed it to everyone I knew that I thought might enjoy it. When I found out they were turning it into a film (an indie at that!) I was determined to see it, and just knew I would love it. Well, I was kind of wrong- I didn't love it...I'm enamored by it! It was everything I expected it to be, hoped it to be, and more. I can't say enough about this film- it's just a must see. 














   So, I was in indie heaven during and after this film. It was fresh, funny, thoughtful, funny, incredibly witty and smart, and all around friggin good. I'm so buying this one when it becomes available a.s.a.p and passing it down to everyone I know; another must. 



















   I just saw this over the weekend, and I just about died from an overdose of absolute indie perfection. Hoffman, Adams, and Phoenix were, in no better words, at their best and undeniably brilliant in their performance. I don't know what else to say...my delight in this film was inaudible- I was speechless and left marinating in this film for the entire weekend. More- much more- than a must see. It's really the film of the decade. 
















    This film made me want to sick to my vegan diet in hopes of never EVER becoming ill and having to EVER be seen by another doctor for as long as I live. Seriously, this scared the shizzle-sticks right out of me. It was an amazing film, however, I so won't be taking any trips to the doctor until I run full background checks and see some type of proof of mental stability. Creeptastic!















    Hit it was indeed! I loved how honest, uneasy, and yet so hopeful this film was. It had so much depth, humor, and realism to it without relying on the typical " I must be crazy to end up here" stigmas of therapy. It was so refreshing, and so spot-on; I loved it. I know anyone who has the chance to check it out will love it too.

















           This film was intense. If you are looking for suspense with a wicked bite, this is the film for you. I don't think in all my years of watching and adoring indies, that I have ever come across a film like this. This film was definitely a brave endeavor for  the actors, writers, and director I would assume, but it came together fabulously. I definitely recommend it. 
















   How could I ever pass up the opportunity to see a timeless story-retold- (and one of my favorite reads by the by) come to life on the big screen by way of indie? I would sooner give up cheesecake for good (and I'm sure you know by now that's not happening) before I missed this one. Of course its a tear-jerker, but it's SO good, and I know if you see it you will love it. See it, cry a little (tears won't kill you damn it), love it; just let it take your breath away. I absolutely say, with unrelenting conviction, it is a must see. 













So that's what I've been up to as of late; I can't wait to catch my next round of indies. This is definitely why I love fall (and winter, yes I know I'm repeating myself). It's no better time to catch up with friends, head out to your local theater, and indulge in some Indie decadence. I'll catch you at the ticket booths everyone!

What Indies have you seen lately?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment