Sunday, August 12, 2012

Warrior Wife Resource: VA Caregiver Support Program/ Services






I’m not sure if maybe my head has been in a fog for the past year and a half, but for some reason I didn’t correlate my taking care of my husband while he struggles through PTSD and TBI, to be being considered as caregiving. Sure, I’ve heard myself and other women in my shoes be referred to as the caregiver , but somehow I just shrugged that title off as simply a way to identify me in relation to him as a veteran. For some reason, I just didn’t consider myself as a caregiver in a literal sense (please refer to the above mentioned head in a fog). So as I’m sure you can imagine and to my utter surprise, when finding out two months ago after yet another routine visit to the VA with the hubby, that not only did the VA consider me (and other wives) as caregivers, they also have special services in place to support us as caregivers, and provide us with resources to elevate some of the day to day stressors we experience.

I think now is an appropriate time to say WOW!

Now I must admit, I haven’t exactly had the best relationship with the VA- both the hubby and I have had problems with our local VA in the past, which have recently been rectified- however, this program in particular, as well as the caregiver support coordinators who run it, have significantly helped to turn my impression of the VA around. I applied to become the official caregiver of the hubby under the Post-911 Veterans charter; a program/new law that will provide assistance to primary family caregivers of eligible post-9/11 Veterans and Service members. Within a couple of days I received a call from the support coordinator, and was immediately placed in rotation to begin the review and evaluation process. The entire process should take no longer than about 45 days (if you comply with the deadlines), and is pretty simple to complete although it does require you completing (including certification) a caregivers course through Easter Seals.

Here are just a few benefits that come with this program once you have been approved:

         Travel Expenses (including lodging and per diem while accompanying Veterans undergoing care)

        Access to health care insurance (if the Caregiver is not already entitled to care or services under a health care plan)

 Mental health services and counseling


 Comprehensive VA Caregiver training provided by Easter Seals

  Respite care

  Monthly stipend


In addition to the great benefits allotted to caregivers, the support of the program leaders, and endless supply of resources to me is worth its weight in gold. If you or someone you know are interested in this program, contact your local VA and ask if they have a Caregiver Support Coordinator. If you need additional information, contact 1-877-222 VETS (8387) or visit VACaregivers to find out who’s eligible.

Take care everyone, and live well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment